December 16, 2009

Key attributes of a helpful volunteer

We have a new site www.g-lish.org where you can read all articles from This is Ghana in a much more organised fashion. Read Key attributes of a helpful volunteer there.


As a volunteer myself and first time traveler to a developing country, I went through many stressful moments. And as manager of the program for WiP in Cape Coast for 20 months, I saw many volunteers come and go. All in all I worked with over 100 volunteers from all over the world. During this experience I narrowed down the key attributes of a great volunteer.


As a manger of volunteers, what I wished for most were people who were willing to do whatever was needed. As a volunteer, it took me a while to realise I ought to be doing what was needed, not what I wanted to do--at least not immediately.


We outline key attributes in more detail. This is a sample what we’ll share in the Insider’s Guide to Volunteering. Sign up by email in the top right hand corner if you’d like to be kept in the loop about the release.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...